Close
A.I is a game-changer for editing images!
I'm sure most of us have seen what generative fill in Photoshop can do, it's mighty impressive! However, the problem is you need to pay for a subscription and there's not a whole lot of control you have over the output. You just hit the button and hope you get a good result. It sure would be nice if there was a solution to both of these problems. It turns out, there is!

While I was searching for a hack to use generative fill for free, I stumbled across a plugin for an image editing program called Krita that uses Stable Diffusion to replicate generative fill in PS. I've looked into using SD to replicate generative fill before and the results have always been pretty crap. So imagine my surprise when this plugin not only works just as well as generative fill, but is actually better!

For starters, you can use a custom model, so you avoid the problem of generative fill getting confused and adding in photographic elements to illustrations. So for anime-style images, you get much better results right out of the gate by using a model trained on anime art. You've also got more control too. Instead of just pressing "generate" you can choose what type of generation you want to do. Expand? Fill? Remove? Refine? That last one is particularly useful, since generative fill can often get close, but you can't really fix any problems short of making tiny selections and fixing it bit-by-bit. The refine tool basically redoes what's already there, so you get a result that looks similar to the original, but maybe better. Oh, and this plugin also allows you to queue generations, so you don't need to babysit it if you want a ton of generations to choose from.

So what can you do with it? Well, I expanded yande.re/post/show/926298 to fit a 16:9 monitor by adding more content to the sides. Oh, and I also upscaled the image to 4K, yay again for A.I! I gotta say, the results look pretty good! Better than what I could do by hand!

https://imgur.com/a/xvtTKDI

Up-front, these results took a LONG time and a LOT of tweaking to get to this stage. You won't get results like this in one shot! A good trick I found is, rather than hoping you'll generate what you want if you keep hitting the generate button, what you do instead is give the A.I something to work off and use refine.

For example, the lanterns. Now, for the ones in the back, I can simply copy the ones from the original image and use fill and refine to integrate it into the image. But what about the one at the front? Ah, that's the trick! Since Stable Diffusion uses, well, diffusion, if you provide it with something that's roughly the shape and color of what you want, it'll use that to make the completed image. So all I needed to do was draw a box-shaped thing with yellow and brown shapes in the right places, and it looked for things of a similar shape and color in the image, resulting in the lantern. Though, the 3D depth was something it came up with, I was thinking it would be made of thin pieces of wood, but checking online, they're more square-shaped pieces of wood, with paper glued to the back. So I went with it.

Actually, speaking of the front lantern, the reason I put one there is because the A.I was constantly putting candles and lanterns in that spot when I was expanding the image. It was only later when I realized there was a glow on the original image that would indicate there would be a lantern off-screen. It's pretty impressive that the A.I picked up on that!

So yeah, that's my little experiment into A.I-powered image editing. I'd say this will be REALLY useful for fixing up images!
The main issue with the image is that it was sharpened a bit too much, getting rid of that kind of steamy blur which makes the floating leaves the artist did quite obvious, but other than that it looks fantastic! I also presume the plugin you're talking about is Acly/krita-ai-diffusion on github? I think there's a massive use case for AI when it comes to upscaling. Just need a good GPU for this kind of stuff which is going to become more of a problem.
between upscaling and generative fill a lot of images from the 5x4 (1280x1024 etc) era could be remastered on the fly.

still waiting for some ai thing i can easily run on my computer to stitch and clean new wallpapers.